Who We AreSome 187 years ago Methodist circuit riders traveled throughout this area, preaching and teaching the word of God. These dedicated men of God spent their short lives (many died before they were 40 years old) visiting isolated, rural communities, laying the foundation for what was to become a dynamic denomination.
Two years later, in 1822, our Liberty church was chartered as a Methodist Episcopal body as a result of this missionary work by circuit riders. The small group met in homes until establishing its first church building in what is now the Liberty Area Chamber of Commerce building. The congregation built a new church at the corner of Franklin and Gallatin streets in the 1890s. This building and subsequent expansions served the congregation very adequately until the 1960s when the decision was made to move to a new location to accommodate future growth. Eleven acres were purchased at the end of Sunset Avenue, a location that seemed so remote that many wondered if anyone would come to the new church! The new church was dedicated in November 1966, and people have been coming ever since.
This continued growth in membership created additional space needs, so the Family Life Center was built in 1994. It includes a gymnasium/meeting hall, classrooms, commercial type kitchen, large foyer, restrooms and an elevator. This much needed space has enabled us to expand our programming for sports, activities for children, meeting rooms for support groups, a large gathering space for community as well as church functions and, of course, more church school space.
As LUMC celebrates its 187th year, the congregation looks forward with great excitement and enthusiasm to the challenges and opportunities which lie ahead as we minister in love and in Christ’s name